Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Betcha could use some cushion now...

So there I was at about mile 4 of the Boston Marathon this past Monday. I noticed a runner bobbing and weaving like a middleweight boxer through the congestion out of Hopkinton. I then noticed his feet - or should I say what he was wearing on his feet... Vibram's KSO Five Fingers. The other thing that I became 'painfully' aware of, was this guy was a heavy heel striker.... hmmmm.

I never gave it another thought until later in the race, when I saw the same dude, although now he wasn't weaving - or running for that matter - but rather, executing a rather slow and painful 'death march' up the first Newton hill or what's better know as Heartbreak Hill. I must say, that there was nothing "natural" about his stride... now. I smiled to myself and continued RUNNING up Heartbreak. I never saw the Five Fingers after that.

Did I happen to mention that I finished the marathon with a Boston PR (3:34), this being my forth Boston in 8 years. Running every step in my new favorite shoe the Nike Lunaracer!

No comments:

Post a Comment